[openbeos] Re: Compatibility.

  • From: "Bruno G. Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:01:31 EST (-0300)

> >I was talking to DaaT and marcus_o in the #openbeos IRC channel and
> > we
> >just concluded that being binary compatible is *NOT* enough... We
> > must
> >be humor compatible.
>
> Sigh. I am afraid this is going to degenerate into a war.
> Humor compatability is *NOT* part of R1.

Without that, R1 will be a complete failure. Hardware OGL Support is *
NOTHING* compared to this one.

> Everyone tells me that we need to branch out, not just recreate what
> Be did, but "get rid
> of the cruft". Well, this is a place where the cruft must be
> harvested and burned.
> Keeping Be's humor will lead to a bloated api, filled with useless
> functions like
> is_computer_on(). We *CAN NOT* afford to keep this kind of bloatware
> around.

I can live without is_computer_on(), but I realy think we should
implement more warning functions(), like beep(), beeeeeeeep() and
beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep().

> No. We *MUST* invent our own API for humor. And that is just the way
> it will have to be.

I will create a class diagram for that.

-Bruno

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Gauls!  We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall
on our heads tomorrow.  But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!
                -- Adventures of Asterix.