[haiku] Binary Compatibility Combinations

  • From: Izomiac <haikulist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:03:48 -0400

Back on BeOS we had three sets of binaries for many applications (R5, Dano,
Zeta).  It isn't unreasonable to think that Haiku users might have even more
choices to be confused about.  For example, there's x86 or ARM, 32 bit or 64
bit, and GCC2 or GCC4.  Eight possible, but binary incompatible,
combinations.  Hybrid builds might take care of GCC2/4 and the other two
cases are fairly niche, but I doubt this problem can be ignored forever.
ARM netbooks are likely a good match for Haiku, and eventually we'll want 64
bit support.

So, are there any plans for cutting down on the possible ways for users to
download the wrong version of an application?  I suppose fat binaries are an
option.  Another is to define allowable combinations, such as 32 bit x86
hybrid, 64 bit x86 GCC4, 64 bit ARM GCC4 only so nobody would make things
like 32 bit ARM GCC2 builds.  Yet another option would be to allow three or
so configurations and give each a memorable name.  Or perhaps have
(potentially huge) downloadable packages containing all possible builds with
the installer selecting the proper one.