[openbeos] Re: Best development platform

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:47:25 +0100

Hi Pablo,

On 2/27/07, Pablo Barrera Gonzalez <barrera@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Right now I was able to compile my own image of haiku (thank you
everyone). I would like to learn how to use BeAPI and learn a little bit
about the operating system itself. I never used BeOS as an user so I do
not exactly what are the best tools to develop.

Haiku is currently too unstable for development. The best solution is
to install BeOSMax or Zeta. Please try that, first.

You can also develop under Linux and use a customized build script in
order to compile and add your own apps to the image. It's not very
effective if you want to learn the Haiku API. Please tell us if you
need help with this method.

Unfortunately, we don't yet support .pkg files on Haiku, but you might
get it to work with some of the BeOSMax tools (SoftwareValet?
PackageInstaller? I don't remember...).

Development tools:
Our developers seem to prefer Pe (http://www.bebits.com/app/3864), but
BeOSMax should also come with BeIDE which is sufficient. Then, you'd
only need the development tools as described on our website
(http://haiku-os.org/documents/dev/haiku_development_getting_started).

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald