[openbeos] Re: Article on OS re-creation projects...

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:57:05 +0100

Am 27.11.2006 um 11:07 schrieb Niklas Nisbeth:

Nice little article, actually, but I have to say I think the points
have alreayd been addressed by the team several times.

I wish they would employ someone to read copy "internet dialler ... is depreciated in 2006"! This "article" is badly researched and badly written.

-Niklas

PS: What kind of forking masochists try to recreate OS/2?!

OS/2 is a much better system than many people think (including the numpty who scribbled the "article"). It wasn't a joint project but commissioned by IBM because thy knew DOS was guff and they wanted to take advantage of the PS/2 architecture. It was unfortunate they gave the commission to Microsoft but IBM at the time was good at making bad mistakes. OS/2 was extremely reliable, supported multiple boots, had an installable file system, could share ports and devices, run multiple network protocols on the same device, had brilliant support for hosts and included a completely virtualised PC environment. Yes, Presentation Manager looked a bit of a mess but it pioneered many of the OO concepts that we've come to know and love in BeOS and the problem about the message queue was resolved with FixPack 17 for Warp.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20