[openbeos] Re: Activity

  • From: "Erik Jakowatz" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 01:21:39 -0700

It's not much, but here's what the interface kit team's been up to:

DarkWyrm has done a lot of research, using the BeBook, Be list archives,
Be newsletter archives and the AtheOS source.  Based on that, he's put
together a app_server framework using BDirectWindow that we'll be using
to test our stuff with -- the idea being that ultimately we can change a
define, recompile and have an app_server (when it's ready, of course).
Yuri Titov has helped a good bit with the research, as well as just
tossing out ideas for the rest of us to mull over.  The last few weeks
he's mostly been getting creamed by his day job. ;(

I spent a bit of time doing some pass-through library work, mainly to
show that binary compatibility is achievable -- it is.  I replaced the
screensaver lib with a pass-through and all my screen savers worked
beautifully.  The prefs app barfed, but that doesn't really worry me
since it will get rewritten anyway.  Thought about doing the same
experiment with libbe, but decided a) I'd proved my point already and b)
it would be a really poor return on investment. ;)  Spent a couple weeks
also being creamed by my day job.  Put together a bunch of tests to
probe the inner workings of BArchivable & Co.; I don't have a full set
of unit tests yet, but it's a good start.  Invested a couple of evenings
in writing up a paper describing the development process the team will
use (which the BArchivable work will illustrate) and (gasp!) wrote up a
schedule with milestones only.  It's still very broad (there's still
quite a bit of fleshing out to do on it), but it's a good start.  Once
the schedule is more presentable, we'll post it.  It is truly gigantic:
between Interface Kit, Application Kit, app_server and integration
tasks, we've got a list of 70 milestones.  The milestones are each
relatively small and focussed, ranging from "Group 1 supporting classes
feature complete: BPoint, BRect, BPolygon, BRegion" to "BView feature
complete" (milestone 8 of the interface kit).  I wanted to do it this
way so we can be hitting them regularly and keeping momentum and morale
up, as well as demonstrating ongoing progress to the public.
Nevertheless, the schedule represents an enormous amount of work to be
done.  Hopefully, once we've got the whole thing laid out, it will be
relatively easy for folks to contribute in bite-sized chunks here and
there.

Oh, yes; DarkWyrm also reminded me today that we'll have to write the
MIME registrar (unless somebody comes along and gets Storage Kit work
going) and I just remembered that we have all those little preference
apps to write.  Gonna have to throw all that in the schedule, too.

Anyway, that's what we've been doing:  mostly laying the organizational
groundwork, with a good dose of R&D thrown in for fun.  And I'm still
*TOTALLY* psyched. =)

>Hello,
>anybody still here?
>
>I think we should show some more activity here. This would be much
>more motivating for everyone .
>So, if you are working on something, I would liek to see small status
>reports here every now and then, so we know what each others are doing.
>
>Currently, looking at the cvs tree and the list archive,
>I get the impression that nearly nothing has been done
>after 4 weeks (which is not true, I know :-).
>
>Marcus

Data is not information, and information is not knowledge: knowledge is
not understanding, and understanding is not wisdom.
        - Philip Adams