[haiku] Re: About Haiku - impressions

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:26:40 -0400

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Marcio David<mfdavid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First, I wanna say congratulations! Thats a really cool OS. I tested it in
> the past, and tested it again now (on VMware) and it's just great! Im
> looking forward to a more stable version and a nice/simple way to install on
> the HD so I can test it on a real machine.

Thanks for the kind words! We are very close to releasing an alpha
version that should be good for installing on a real machine.

> To make it a "perfect" OS, in my opinion, two things are missing:
>
> - A nicer menu: all applications on one division is not really efficient.
> Looks at the Gnome menu... with Games, Programming, etc... it's easier to
> find stuff there.

It is funny you mention this since we have been discussing just this
very thing today on the haiku-development list. We will be sure to
come up with a nice solution for this.

> - A nicer way to install and update softwares. Its easy right now, but a "be
> store" would be great... something like apt-get... So it's easier to find
> more software, install, remove and update the whole system.

We definitely have plans for a package management system which should
provide all the above! It won't be ready for the alpha release, but we
will be sure it is ready for our first release R1.

> Of course, I will not even mention more softwares, etc. I'm talking more
> about the OS itself.
>
> I think that this can be a really good alternative in the future. Good luck!

Your feedback is appreciated and I hope in the future Haiku can become
a system you use day to day.

--
Regards,
Ryan