[openbeos] ANNOUNCE: BeGeistert 010 - Brave New World 26th and 27th April 2003

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 01:09:52 +0100

First of all apologies for the delay of this invitation. It should
be our 10th jubilee but it's been a bit jinxed so far.

In November 2002 we were informed that it was unlikely that we would be
able to use the same location for BeGeistert 010. This came as a shock to
the orga-team as we've got so used to the place in Eller. Having the run of
the place for the weekend with people able to sleep if and when they choose
has proved very successful. Our visitors have been happy so we saw no need
to change.

Confirmation that it wouldn't be possible to use the location didn't come
until near the end of January limiting the time to find alternative. But
we've managed to find an alternative which we hope will serve as well: the
Düsseldorf Youth Hostel. It'S Situated on the banks of the Rhine near the
centre of Düsseldorf. So going to the Altstadt won't be as great logistic
entreprise as it has been in the past! By renting the rooms we're obliged
to take at least one meal per person per day meaning that attendance will
cost Euro 20. Staying overnight will cost upto Euro 26 but this includes
breakfast and you don't have to bring or rent any bedding.

Gone too are the mass pizza orders as BeGeistert 010 will have a buffet
lunch instead. Real pizza fans will be able to get their fill of real,
wood-fired ovens in the Altstadt so no tears, please. As you have to cross
the Rhine to get to the Altstadt this a good way to work up an appetite or
walk of the beer!

"Brave New World"?

Well, we've relaunched the website. Thanx to Eddy Groen who did the most of
the hard work. Just as we were going to relaunch the website and announce
BeGeistert 010 the server which was running BeGeistert was physically
moved. Not all the services have been reconnected which meant that the
registration service and the infoservice had to be completely reprogrammed.
The flu epidemic didn't help matters either. The positive thing to come ouf
of this is that BeGeistert.org is now 100% BeOS compatible! The code
including the database has been unified in Python. A
demonstration/discussion/workshop for cgi with Python will be offered at
010 to those interested.

But the real reason for the motto is the change in the BeOS world this
year. With Zeta yellowTab (http://www.yellowtab.com) is getting closer and
closer to releasing the first update to BeOS R5 and is even manning a stand
at the CeBIT this year. Bernd Korz is a pretty tough character but manning
the CeBIT requires incredible stamina. We wish yellowTab the best of luck
and hope to be able to see more of Zeta at 010.

That's not at all. BeGeistert regulars Yellowbites
(http://www.yellowbites.com) developers of eXposer and ColdCut will be
showing their latest development "Wonderbrush". There also bringing with
them the author of Beam. Can't wait.

And in anticipation of EU expansion next year we're looking forward to
welcoming Sergei 'fyysik' Dolgov for the first time. Sergei is responsible
for the slimmed-down libraries in Stripzilla and Phoenix.

There have been rumours that OpenBeOS might make Beta this year. No,
no we don't want to put anybody under pressure. Well, let's just wait and
see. As usual BeGeistert provides the opportunity to meet like-minded BeOS
users and developers and this includes a large part of the OpenBeOS
developer community, who'll be chained to their machines, also as usual.
We're looking forward to seeing as many of them as possible.

All in all we think that's more than enuff reason for optimism.

An important note regarding the deadline for registration:

it's 27th March 2003. The reason for it being so early is the restrictions
imposed by the Youth Hostel: we have to book and pay IN ADVANCE. If you
want us to arrange and guarantee somewhere to stay, you have to book before
this deadline. Of course, you are welcome to make your own arrangements
with the Youth Hostel or elsewhere in city. Details are on the homepage
(http://www.BeGeistert.org) We are really sorry for the short notice but
there's no crying ove spilt bytes as they, er, don't say.

See you at the end of April

The BeGeistert Orga-Team