[openbeos] ACPI: I'm on a mission

  • From: Bryan Varner <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:26:02 -0500

Howdy,

In case you're not watching the svn commit logs, I've started continuing NathanW's work with ACPI, to the point were I'm currently in the process of writing drivers for a few things. There's some architectural type questions I'll need to ask (and we'll need to come to a consensus on) when it comes to how to poll devices that don't support initiating system events, and how to respond to those events when they are fired from the OSPM (acpi bus_manager).

I'll warn everyone here, I'm pretty much a kernel noob, which was why I chose to start with drivers. Once I get the hang of this (and I figure it'll expose some bugs in the kernel) I figure I'll be fairly accustomed to the layout, design, and possibly be able to jump in and help in a few places. I like to get into things that are initially over my head. :-)

I'll get to those architectural questions in the near future. For now, I'm interested in obtaining a few ACPI namespace listings from people who have systems that are running R5 with ACPI firmware. These listings will help me while implementing the drivers, giving me a wider range of examples of real-world configurations, and not just the descriptions from the ACPI spec. A set of visual aides of real-world examples, if you will.

If anyone is interested in helping, I've made a small package for R5 that has the current acpi bus_manager, R5 loader, power button driver, and namespace dump drivers along with instructions on what I'd like to have.

http://bryan.varnernet.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/02/r5_acpi_survey.zip

I will respect your privacy, and will never sell / misuse / abuse this information. If you don't trust me, then don't send me anything back. If you do send back a report, I may contact you in the future about testing specific drivers (for hardware I don't have) -- if you don't want to ever be contacted, please note that in your response.

Also, please keep return mailings of acpi namespace lists off-list, and send them to bryanv at neo.rr.com

Thanks!

-Bryan Varner