[openbeos] Re: 3rd Party Opportunities

  • From: "Ronald Vos" <egregius@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:30:20 +0200

On 6/20/07, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

IMHO, the problem is rather how to get people involved. And I think many
talented developers, who dive into big projects and need more hands, fail
to realize how important it is to get certain aspects of their projects
right.

From my (outsider's) point of view: I think you're quite right. More people
start doing something if the cost of entry is lower. Just look at
web-publishing: setting up your own server (a handful of people in the '90s)
vs subscribing to a blog service (now everyone has something to say).
It bugs me to no end to see Unununium (other free OS, now dead) devs
complained that everyone wants to help (i.e. tell them what to do), but
noone coded. Then again, they didn't want to actively help people get
started because the return on investment for them has been very low in the
past. But an extensive page helping people get set up, a one time
time-investment, was lacking.

Another thing: imho, 'projects' don't benefit if their start-up is hindered
by some umbrella organisation putting extra demands on them, but a solid set
of guidelines (for the interface among others) wouldn't hurt; it prevents
people having to reinvent the wheel each time and gives something to aim
for, without people feeling that they can't innovate.

Besides this, I think the best Haiku can do is make programming easier for
the rest by providing a stable environment to code in, with extensive kits
to make programming easy and as effortless as possible.