[haiku-web] Re: dev.haiku-os.org account issues

  • From: "Remi Grumeau" <remi.grumeau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 23:19:45 +0200

> And since you already have 1) in place, I think this is indeed the best
> option for now. The mail with the new password could mention that this
> is a temporary solution only, and that the Trac account will be
> migrated back once more in the future :-)

> Bye,
>    Axel.

Agree with that. Moreover if there is a Trac plugin available for that, why
not just use it.

| The final option - which I've
| ruled out for you - is authenticating through an xmlrpc service. I
| think this is not a good idea though, because of security reasons.
| Sending the username and password over the web (even if it is through
| ssl) will pose a security risk.

The xmlrpc solution is not that much a security problem, cause you use SSL
and encrypt all datas in MD5. This could also bring new features to an Haiku
account, since every website could use them also for member log.
This could then be something like the .mac account nope ? (used on their
website, but also for sync, iTunes, ...), but could be setup aside when we
will have a real idea of what we could do with it.