[haiku-web] Re: Fwd: [Website feedback] Emails

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:48:32 -0500

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is no policy about giving out @haiku-os.org addresses (or
> aliases). Officially they don't even exist. I know that they were
> phased out on the website in favor for the web form approach. I don't
> know anyone (besides you apparantly) who is using his @haiku-os.org
> alias.

The personal @haiku-os.org addresses always felt a bit like an
"in-club" to me, probably how Haiku, Inc is sometimes perceived by
those outside of it. I always thought it would be neat to have my own
(leavengood at haiku-os.org or whatever) but I never had any pressing
need for it.

Nonetheless I do see Jorge's argument for it, as it certainly does
lend a certain officialness to outgoing emails. I know that whenever I
read an email on the WebKit list from someone@xxxxxxxxxx, it always
lends their opinions a little more credence.

Either way we will still need the generic addresses (donations, info,
marketing, etc) so there will need to be some sort of mail handling
(even if just forwarding.)

> Let's keep the details on implementation for when a decision has been
> reached. There are a few possible configurations.

In general if we are to keep something like this I think it would be
nice to minimize the burden on the sysadmins. At the same time I'm not
sure if we want to have a bunch of extra Gmail accounts to check.

--
Regards,
Ryan