[haiku-web] Re: Admin permissions

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:26:28 -0800

Gavin James wrote:
Hi Niels,

On 28 Feb 2008, at 7:20 AM, Niels Reedijk wrote:

Hi gang,

Who currently has admin permissions for the drupal installation? Who
is currently actively working on a migration to Drupal 5 or 6? When I
hear Jorge say 'we are working on it', I am wondering who 'we' are.

I actually don't know if it's possible to list the users with admin permissions from within Drupal, at least, I can't find the option to.

I have admin permission, as does Jorge, not sure about who else though.

Urias, Axel and several other Haiku admins.

As for who's working on a migration to Drupal 5 (6 isn't an option due to lack of contributed module support at the moment)... I've set up two drupal installations http://production.web.haiku-os.org/ and http://experimental.web.haiku-os.org/ with the former intending to be switched to the live site when we're ready, and the latter to be used for experimenting with modules, themes etc

If that thing is not progressing, and you guys agree, I would like to
request admin permissions to do some investigation myself to find out
how much work it might be.

I've set you up as an admin on the live site. Obviously please be careful, the site can be a little bit 'fragile'. :)

There is a test site that is a replication of the live site that you can use to test stuff. I will send you the info privately.

At the moment Jorge is the only person who has a user account on the Drupal 5 installs. I would suggest liaising with him so as to prevent any duplication of effort. This list seems like the appropriate place for it.

I don't think I will have time to contribute to this effort, so please feel free to put together a team to work on it.

I would also think that rather than just migrate as-is it may be prudent for us to take a step back and think about what the site should accomplish, what "features" we do and don't want, and what the main reasons for visiting are in the first place, etc.

Our website does have its rough edges, but in all honesty, it is still serving us quite well. Sure, we had performance issues associated with the Gallery 2 modules, but those can be addressed easily (Remi has done most of the work there).

The problem that I see is not the abundance or lack of features, but the lack of scalability to accommodate content in other languages; this is something that the upgrade needs to address. It may also be wise to separate areas for official content and community driven content, in order to make it easier to maintain the former (the latter would maintain itself). But overall, the site is serving its purpose quite well IMHO.

Koki