[haiku-sysadmin] Re: vmweb unresponsive

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 16:56:09 +0100

On 2010-02-20 at 16:28:15 [+0100], Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[ ... ]

> So basically I don't know what's been going on, but I will now continue with
> checking the logs on the VM itself. Maybe something interesting can be found
> there.

Well, yes and no:

it looks like there was a system-time inconsistency at around 11:40 CET / 12:04
CET, since the apache transfer log contains intermixed entries for both times.

Soon after that, mysql went down, which brought some PHP-watchdog into action,
which sent a lot of complaints about 'mysql having gone away' into the logs.
Mysqld then got restarted (probably by the watchdog), which didn't seem to have
rectified the problem, as soon afterwards the http_prefork process got visited
by the OOM killer (twice). After that, the logs got quiet.

I don't know which process actually continued to hog the CPUs and why, probably
apache and/or mysql - but what really makes me wonder is what peculiarity might
have caused the system time inconsistency?

cheers,
        Oliver