[haiku-sysadmin] Re: [haiku-web] Re: [haiku] Re: XKCD

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 20:57:30 +0200

Hi Urias,

On 2010-10-15 at 20:18:11 [+0200], Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Urias McCullough
> <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> http://baron.haiku-os.org/stats?host=vmweb.haiku-os.org&plugin=memory&timespan=day&button=Ok
> >
> > Ok, I'll try to fix this - I should have access to kill it, and it
> > should be documented where I think it is :)
>
> I have bumped the memory on "vmweb" to 2557mb and restarted it (was
> killed hard):
>

> baron:/ # service VM-web restart
> Asking VM web to shutdown (timeout 30 seconds)Connection timed out
> during banner exchange
> *** failed!
> Killing VM web hard!                                                 done
> Starting VM web                                                      done

That's fine - once the server is under heavy pressure, it won't serve the ssh
login fast enough.
The only way to fix that would be to apply some traffic-shaping to give ssh
traffic enough room,
but I don't really know a lot about how to do that practically ...

> Hopefully it will stay up :P

so far, it seems to stay in bounds.

But, judging from the little info I have right now, the apache processes eat a
lot of memory. If
at all possible, we should try to move to a threaded apache setup, but I'm not
sure that's
feasible with Drupal being a php application. Anyway, I suppose we should
really invest some
more time to optimize our Drupal setup. Ideally, we'd pre-render unchanged
pages and serve them
statically, at least Drupal seems to support that in principle.

cheers,
        Oliver