[haiku-sysadmin] Re: SMART error (CurrentPendingSector) detected on host: baron

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 18:44:28 +0100

Hi there,

On 2012-12-14 at 18:39:12 [+0100], root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:
>
>    host name: baron
>   DNS domain: haiku-os.org
>   NIS domain:
>
> The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:
>
> Device: /dev/sda, 4 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
>

> For details see host's SYSLOG.
>
> You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
> Another email message will be sent in 24 hours if the problem persists.

We used to have 3 pending sectors on /dev/sda, which seemingly were caused
by the cooling mishap in our data center that occured this summer. I
thought this was acceptable, as long as it didn't get worse, but tonight,
another pending sector has been added on top.

Our other disk (/dev/sdb) has no such problems.

I'll try to find out what the prerequisites are for Hetzner to replace the
disk.

cheers,
        Oliver