[haiku-sysadmin] Re: Daily Summary for svn.haiku-os.org

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:15:18 +0200

Hi Niels,

On 2009-09-22 at 11:05:14 [+0200], Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> 2009/9/22 Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

[ ... ]

> > I don't see the need for it. Basically the svn VM is just sitting there
> > waiting to be put into use.
> > Since the last part of the backup scheme has been implemented now, we are
> > ready to switch.
>
> Ah nice!
>
> If the infrastructure is ready, we can start planning the migration.
> Any thoughts on that one?

As we are slowly approaching the switch, I have activated automatic pulling
from berlios via svnmirror and dropped pushing any changes to mmadia-server (as
currently there are no changes possible, commits are blocked).

I thought about it for a while and I suppose we need to do (at least) this for
a switch from svn.berlios.de to svn.haiku-os.org:

PREPARATION

- get a list of haiku-commits.berlios.de subscribers from Axel (maintainer) and
  add all those as subscribers to haiku-commits.freelists.org.

- synchronize the subscriber list with the respective .forward files on
  svn.haiku-os.org, such that the address in .forward matches the one the
  user has subscribed with. The background here is that svn.haiku-os.org
  should send commit messages from the "real" from, i.e. on haiku-commits
  a commit from e.g. myself will apparently have come from zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  instead of zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (which is an address that doesn't accept
  incoming mails).

- send a mail to haiku-development about the upcoming switch with a suggested
  time and date (judging by haiku-commits, doing the switch between 8-10 CEST
  would be best).
  In the same mail, tell about transferal of haiku-commits to freelists.org and
  ask people (again) for their login credentials, since otherwise they won't be
  able to commit after the switch.

- find all references to svn.berlios.de on the haiku website (and trac?) such
  that we know which pages need adjusting

- decide if haiku's trac should be switched to sync its subversion repo with
  svn.haiku-os.org instead of berlios

- create a checkout of http://svn.haiku-os.org/haiku/haiku/trunk and
  svn+ssh://svn.haiku-os.org/srv/svn/repos/haiku/haiku/trunk
  (I already have those on one of my local machines)

- if the suggested time and date for the switch didn't trigger any objections,
  send a mail to haiku-development (maybe haiku, too?) about the estimated
  off-line time

SWITCHING

- block write access to svn.berlios.de by adjusting the pre-commit check to
  print an appropriate message (with a hint to svn.haiku-os.org) to stderr and
  always exit 1

- on svn.haiku-os.org, invoke /etc/cron-scripts/svnmirror one last time and then
  switch it to use the config file svnmirror-to-berlios.config (instead of
  svnmirror-from-berlios.config)

- update the local http: and svn+ssh: checkouts

- unblock write access on svn.haiku-os.org by removing executable permissions
  from /srv/svn/repos/haiku/hooks/write-access-blocked

- do a test commit over http://svn.haiku-os.org and take notice if it requires
  credentials before allowing the commit.
  Check if the commit works and if the commit mail arrives at
  haiku-commits@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and the cia-bot propagates the commit into
  #haiku-dev.

- do another test commit over svn+ssh://svn.haiku-os.org and check the results

[ if everything works ]

- adjust all known references to svn.berlios.de on www.haiku-os.org and
  dev.haiku-os.org.

- [if it was decided that it should be done] adjust haiku's trac to sync
  it's repo with svn.haiku-os.org instead of berlios

- send a mail to the haiku-development list (and the haiku list, too?) about the
  successful switch

[ if problems occur which can't be solved easily ]

- drop any test commits from the subversion repo on svn.haiku-os.org (by
  manually removing the files and dropping the corresponding rows from the
  cache sqlite db.

- switch back /etc/cron-scripts/svnmirror to pull from berlios again

- reallow write access to the repo on svn.berlios.de

- send out a mail to haiku-development informing about the problems and
  a possible resolution plan

Any readers, please tell if anything of the above seems unclear or plain wrong
or if you think something's missing.

cheers,
        Oliver