[haiku-inc] Re: Research into crowdfunding thoughts

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 22:24:56 -0400

Harry -

This is very well thought out.

I can't disagree with any of what you said except that the visibility justifies
the fee. For a project that doesn't have a web site or a community (and doesn't
have the time or interest to build one), I think that Kickstarter and IndieGoGo
are good choices. Haiku already has both of those things.

Here is what I would propose we (the Haiku community) do:
1) Concentrate on "getting the word out". There are lots of sites out there
that are desperate for news (especially in the slow summer season). Reviews,
opinion pieces ("Why I think that Haiku is relevant", "Why should you
contribute to Haiku's fund drive"), etc. would be welcome by a lot of sites.

2) Contribute whatever money you can.

3) I think that we could/should consider "in-sourcing" (at least some of) our
fund raising swag. CDs, t-shirts, etc. I used to do it and it took me
(seriously) 15 minutes a week. Collect the order info, print labels, put a
shirt in a shipping bag, affix postage. Done.

4) Do a better job about explaining to people why you should donate. The news
post that was put up a couple of days ago is very good, but I think that we are
in this place where the "to do" list seems infinite and the "done" list seems
to grow at a snail's pace. Those are PERCEPTIONS, not reality - I KNOW that the
devs are working really hard. But to someone from the outside, I can see how
someone would get the impression that Haiku will never be R1.

I think that we need to
a) emphasize the shortness of the Beta list on the timeline (56 items, at the
time that I write this).
b) consider moving some of the items from the Beta list to the backlog. Most of
the items on the Beta list are bugs (and hardware specific ones).
c) give people more of a feeling of "almost there".

I know that we have been hesitant to overpromise before, but unless I am
missing something, we are finally close to the finish line!

Michael