[haiku-gsoc] Re: First week of Coding period

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-gsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 16:21:30 +0200

Le 29/05/2010 16:13, Nathan Mentley a écrit :
As far as unexpected bumps go... I've had my far share.
One example, I spent a couple hours trying to create a jam rule that
would create a basic haiku image which would only include the first
stage bootloader and haiku_loader... However my inexperience with
jamfiles made this task way more difficult than I originally thought it
would be. After the better part of a day I was pretty stumped... until I
realized there's a BFS Fuse module. I'm now using that in conjunction
with a premade full haiku_anyboot.image in a crude way to make test
images. Obviously not a fix that'll get included in any of the final
patches, but for now it'll speed up testing quite a bit.

Jam needs some time before you can handle it properly. There are a lot of jamrules in Haiku and they grow in a somewhat organic way with people hacking their way around... don't hesitate to ask for help here, on haiku-dev mailing list, or on IRC if you need so. Theres a lot of people that can help you on your way. The more you communicate, the more other devs can give you input on thebest way to solve a problem, and the faster you go. We don't ask you to do all the work by yourself, it's ok if you admit you don't know and can't figure out how to do something. The list was quite quiet for this first week ... :)

--
Adrien.