[haiku-development] Re: tar: extracting hard-links issue...

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 09:56:35 +0200

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 02:01:47 -0500, Sean Collins wrote:
I think if the user going to modify the stuff he have becomed from the "outside" he should take into account that Haiku has no hardlinks support - so any case of deleting the "master" file that was symlinkled from somewhere is this user's problem. Almost the same is the case of duplicating files when modifying contents of one file was assumed to change the contents of second copy of this file but on Haiku this can be the problem that is hard to catch. In opposite to this - broken symlink will be detected in very short time and there are no content synchronization problem.

I see this problem as transition only problem - may be we should emulate hard links with symlinks during extraction but warn user additionaly with the "WARNING! hardlink 'something.c' was replaced with symlink!". All that occured after the data extraction - is on user's own responsibility. What do you think?

Never trust the user to do the right thing. Not ever. Not in a million years

But Haiku do this. Go to any folder, select any file and press Del key. That is The Difference.

By the way, who is speaking about trusting user? We just going to provide him the tool to shoot his leg as reliably as possible. ;-)

--
Kind Regards,
   S.Zharski