[haiku-development] Re: server connection

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 08:15:02 -0800 (PST)

Quoth Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>,
> Not from these function. However there's the FIONREAD ioctl() to get the
> number of bytes ready for reading. For a stream socket there's mostly no
> point in retrieving that information, though. Usually one expects a certain
> (or minimum) amount of data and one simply iteratively reads until one has
> got that much. poll(), select() or the haikuish wait_for_objects() are only
> needed, if the thread needs to deal with multiple FDs (/events). If that's
> not necessary, then just use recv()/send() in blocking mode.

If he insists on using the IDLE feature, the client will be waiting
for unsolicited I/O, like a server, so he may need wait_for_objects()
in order to respond to application message events as well.

With SSL, I suppose one would have to be careful to check for pending
data in the SSL buffer before calling wait_for_objects.

        Donn