[haiku-development] Re: [haiku] Maintenance announcement for vmdev

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:23:49 +0100

On 2012-03-13 at 09:00:10 [+0100], Stefano Ceccherini
<stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[ ... ]

> I followed this guide:
> http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-upgrade-opensuse-11.4-to-12.1-desktop-and-server
>
> I read that they had to replace systemd with init, although I did not
> have to do that.

Yes, when reading up on the update, I've noticed that replacing systemd with
init
is recommended when encountering problems. After doing so, the system boots
properly again :-)

> The problem I had were:
> 1 - The virtual console name changed (it's called xvc0 now, but I
> guess this only applies to xen/xenserver), so the kernel did not find
> a console at boot. I had to explicitly pass console=ttyS0 (and
> xencons=ttyS, but again, this is specific to xen).

Ah, I didn't notice that one, since our VM's have been set up to redirect their
console to the serial, too.

> 2 - I had an error with plymouth (I did not use a bootsplash either,
> nor plymouth, actually, so I lost some time trying to understand why
> this happened) and had to add plymouth.enable=0 to the kernel boot
> options.

Lovely - luckily that didn't happen for vmdev.

> Maybe there is something more I forgot (probably not), but at least,
> this is what I wrote down.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks!

[ quoting from your other mail ]
> Is that a x64 installation of OpenSuse, by chance ? (mine is 32bit).
> I found this which seems relevant:
> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-bugs/2012-01/msg02990.html

No, our VMs are 32-bit, just the server is x86_64.

cheers,
        Oliver