[haiku-development] gcc, ld and sockets under Haiku

  • From: Paulo Estrela <paulojbe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 00:56:34 -0200

Hey guys,

This weekend I was doing nothing and took the opportunity to install
Haiku with GCC4 (not the Hybrid one) on my laptop. The little guy is a
few years old, a Dell Latitude 110L (CeleronM 1.3GHz, 1.2GB of RAM,
intel 915 chipset, intel e100 nic and broadcom 57xx wlan card). Except
for wlan card, everything works perfectly. Congratulations, Haiku
developers!

After system installation I setup wired network and could realize that
apparently Haiku misses nslookup, dig, host or any other tool that I
know to test DNS functionality. I thought, "lets try to build BIND and
see whats happen". configure script runs fine specifying
--build=i586-pc-beos, but make prints lots of "undefined reference"
messages about sockets API functions (socket, connect, listen and
etc.).

To test this behavior, I decided to build a basic sockets code. I went
to Wikipedia and found  "Client code in C"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_sockets#Client). I tried:  gcc
tcpclient.c -o tcpclient

It gives me:

~/Desktop> gcc tcpclient.c -o tcpclient
/tmp//ccYWJ81I.o: In function `main':
tcpclient.c:(.text+0x28): undefined reference to `socket'
tcpclient.c:(.text+0x93): undefined reference to `__inet_pton'
tcpclient.c:(.text+0x10a): undefined reference to `connect'
tcpclient.c:(.text+0x149): undefined reference to `shutdown'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The funny part is that all this exists inside
/boot/develop/headers/posix/... . Anyone has an idea of how to compile
this? What am I doing wrong? I tried to add -lsocket parameter, but
doesn't work.

Sorry about my english and message size!

Paulo Estrela
http://tabugado.com