[haiku-development] Re: cgit -> gogs?

  • From: Julian Harnath <julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 10:08:33 +0200

Hey,

On 13.09.2017 03:38, François Revol wrote:

> What about Gitlab?

I have experience with Gitlab. As Adrien already noted, it's a bigger solution, not just repo management, but also bug tracking (replacing trac), continuous integration (could be nice to autorun our unit tests), general-purpose wiki (replacing trac again), and more. Of course we could ignore those things and only use it for repo management.. but then it doesn't have that many advantages over our current system anymore.
One problem with Gitlab might be performance, it tends to use lots of CPU (server-side) when browsing larger repos. To really know how it handles the Haiku repo we'd have to try it out (by setting up a test instance, i.e. before making a decision to switch). From my experience I expect that it will choke on our huge number of tags, trying to list the tags will probably make it grind to a halt for a while... but maybe newer Gitlab versions are better there than the old ones I know.

In any way, for repo-browsing I definitely prefer cgit. But that's an orthogonal thing. Whatever we use for repo-management, we can still have cgit around, it's just a viewer. It doesn't require any complex setup on the server side, you can e.g. still point it at the repos when they're managed by Gitlab.
I regularly use our cgit to look things up, like the history of a file, or the list of commits between two hrevs and their changesets. The reasons I prefer it over anything else I've tried so far are: 1) it's blazingly fast, on the server-side end (e.g. even with our tag usage, the tag list shows up quickly), and also on the client side due to its simple design (works great in Web+ too). 2) information density. These "modern" solutions put endless whitespace around everything, making stuff like lists of commits take up so much screen space, while in cgit I get to see much more in one view and can quickly find what I'm looking for when browsing files or commits.
So, even if we change to Gitlab or anything else, I'd like to request we keep a cgit installation for repo-browsing pointed at the repos as well.

As for Gerrit, no experience using it myself, but I'd really like to try out if it works for us.

Regards
Julian