[haiku-development] Re: bringing libavcodec up to date

  • From: "David McPaul" <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:19:24 +1000

2008/8/25 David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>:
> There are a number of ideas floating around about how to decide on one
> decoder over another.
>
> 1.  Some sort of configuration file that maps codec id to decoder with
> a nice gui for the end user.
> 2.  Priority levels (windows does this)
> 3.  User plugins override system plugins
> 4.  First in decoder list first served usually based on name.
>
> Haiku and BeOS currently use 4
>
> I think 3 would be a good start, easy to do and matches I think the BeOS way.

Well we already do 3 so any user plugin will be selected first before
system plugins with any plugins in the same directory based on alpha
order.

But what we should add is if a decoder is selected based on it's
formats then if it fails NegotiateFormat or Setup then try the next
decoder.

--
Cheers
David