[haiku-development] Re: app_server compositing

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:55:35 +0100

On 22.03.2012 01:36, Joseph Groover wrote:
I also considered the memory management some more in my sleep and
realized realloc() exists... not sure why I was thinking I would need to
create a whole new buffer then the window resized...

You cannot use realloc() - but you can just use the existing backend for bitmaps. IIRC they are already aligned to some size, so you won't have to switch buffers too often when a window is resized. And even if, resizing is not happening that often.

You have to use a memory backend where it is save for the client to mess with everything, ie. the app_server must remain running even if all the client does is to fill all memory it gets with 'bee4'.

I will move forward with a full composite branch again. One thing about
me: I don't mind throwing code away... And I won't be insulted if my
work is not accepted - regardless of how much time I put in it.

I would rather like to see something usable come out of this, though :-)
In that light, I appreciate the switch to the fully composited app_server; with shadows around every window, it's more like one would want anyway.

Bye,
   Axel.