[haiku-development] Re: Yet potential task for GSoC: Hardware cursors?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:26:14 -0600

On 27.02.2012 15:09, Rene Gollent wrote:
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Alex Wilson <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That would be a really good GSoC task in my opinion. This is something
that could potentially benefit Haiku greatly, but it's not something
that *has* to be done. It would also be good to improve the 'bus
factor' on the app_server code. Also, as Clemens said, there is
already good documentation in place for what needs to be done, so the
mentoring burden could be much lower. Starting with enabling hardware
cursors could be a good way for the student to become familiar with
the app_server.

I'm somewhat confused now ; VESA by definition can't support hardware
cursors.

"VBE/AF supports 2-color cursor images up to 32x32 in size,"

Deadyak smacked me around a bit in irc on this because the VBE stuff is
implemented on a per card basis...

Forget vesa :)

I do see hooks and some cards have code to utilize the accelerated hardware
cursors... however at some point I heard that the hardware cursor stuff was
incomplete.

If hardware cursors are working in app_server... I know what feature i'll
add to radeon_hd next :D

 -- Alex