[haiku-development] Re: Year 2038 problem

  • From: Richie Nyhus <richienyhus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 17:05:07 +1200

Hi all,

> real_time_clock() returns the number of seconds since the Unix epoch (1
Jan 1970), and that returns an unsigned 32-bit integer, so in principle
it's good until sometime in the 22nd century.

Yes, unlike Unix and friends; Haiku only has as the y2k106 bug (2106).

> I'm not sure how the value is stored internally, though.

While not important enough yet to have a dev look into it, it might still
be a nice Google Code-In task for a student to look to see if Haiku is
reliant on any ported Unix code that makes the assumption that the "world
ends in 2038" or how to future proof Haiku so it can properly calculate
dates past 2106.

Regards,
Richard.