[haiku-development] Writing a Haiku wifi driver

  • From: Stefano Ceccherini <stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 20:53:20 +0200

Hi,
I happen to have an usb wifi dongle which is not supported by Haiku (Ralink
3070 Usb). I first planned to get the driver from freebsd and get to
compile it using the freebsd compatibility layer, but I realized that usb
dongles aren't supported by it, and would require to write an usb compat
layer. I then decided to port the driver to Haiku.
After porting part of it (I managed to initialize the dongle and load the
firmware), I realized that there is NO "native" Haiku Wifi driver to use as
sample, except the Intel IPW2100, which uses some "trick" (a custom setting
file) instead of integrating with the rest of the system. Is there a list
of the ioctls which have to be handled by a wireless NIC card ?
Moreover, I noticed that the freebsd layer has the crypto and iee80211 code
needed to handle the wifi stuff, but is it meant to be used only in the
freebsd layer ?
Was there a plan to be able to write "native" Haiku wifi driver?
Thank you in advance.

https://github.com/jackburton79/haiku_ralink_usb