[haiku-development] Re: Wishlist item: user-friendly programming languages

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:14:21 +0100

Am 29.01.2011 10:20, schrieb Alex Marinko:
The idea was having at least a couple of fully working languages, in
addition to C++, ready for the first Haiku release, that's why
concentrating our efforts on some target is important.

It may well be, as has been pointed out in other posts, that
discussing here the merits of the languages is not the best approach,
because of the time wasting and the heated debates that it generates.
Point taken. But a decision has to be made in some way, at some point.
Just having individual uncoordinated developers go their own way is
not a good strategy, as major no accomplishment can be achieved
without organized efforts.  The development of programming languages
on an operating system is no exception.

Of course, it's perfectly fine for someone to work on whatever
language they want, and I don't mean to discourage that.

The core of of my reasoning is that if we want to present Haiku in the
best way to the computing world at large, we must remember that there
are certain features that are expected from an operating system, and
which determine its success or failure. A good range of programming
tools is one of those requirements.

All the other major parts of the OS are being currently worked on
(kudos to developers) and everything is going great. The only area
that seems to have been a bit overlooked is the availability of
programming languages for wannabe Haiku developers. Lack of manpower
or simply lack of planning?

I don't share your perception of the ongoing development. *Any* feature being developed for Haiku depends on someone being interested in it and motivated and skilled to do it. Plus having the time and actually doing it, of course. That's how any development happens in Haiku. Even when Haiku Inc helps push things forward, it always required someone to be interested to do the work in the first place and offer Haiku Inc their time. Of course there is a level of planning involved in that features are prioritized (community polls, open discussions). Maybe if we participate in GSoC again, someone will propose a language binding project again. Last year we had two proposals, IIRC. The work necessary to support SWIG is infrastructure work that is required for most language bindings, as such it falls well within the scope of the Haiku project. Providing any additinal individual language, or even deciding on a preferred one less so, IMHO.

Best regards,
-Stephan