[haiku-development] Re: Why not BeXen?

  • From: Sia Lang <silverlanguage@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 15:35:00 +0200

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Krishna <v.krishnakumar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> rumpkernel is a set of reusable components (drivers, filesystems etc) that
> can be integrated into a number of environments (including user-space
> Linux, Xen). I was wondering whether it would be feasible to integrate into
> the *existing* haiku kernel. The components come from NetBSD and are
> actively maintained.

I think it's an interesting alternative should the Haiku community decide
to evaluate kernels in the future. My attempt is based on Linux because I
personally think it's the best kernel. That said, rump-netbsd sounds like
an excellent alternative too (as you say, the majority of the actual code
that would make up the kernel would be from netbsd, which is maintained,
portable and high quality, and it shouldn't be a problem maintaining a rump
fork if needed.) Finally, rumprun-posix should make for a fairly risk-free
stepping stone approach (assuming it delivers what's promised.)

Sia.