[haiku-development] Re: What is going on with the default font?

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 10:06:20 +0100

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 05:37:41PM -0500, Augustin Cavalier wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 4:10 PM, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I feel that the fonts and cal are fine as packages, but they should be
> > included in the default image. The VL-Gothic font may be a decent
> > fallback for most uses but it surprised me.

The DejaVu font is in the default image. It just won't auto-install if
you update from a previous nightly. It is indeed still our default font,
but it is just that, a default choice which you can remove for various
reasons (for example Japanese or Chinese users have little use for it).

> > I believe if I had downloaded a nightly image or a release built the
> > font would show up but I built from source.
> >

> Yes. But we aren't trying to focus on working updates (yet), we can start
> doing that once we get everything outsourced. The DejaVu fonts aren't
> required, and could be uninstalled by a user who had picked different ones.

If you start from a complete image (of, say, beta1) the font will be
there and updates will keep it, unless you explicitly uninstall it.

> > Also, why can't we get bsd cal as a package (or whatever we were using
> > before) instead of gcal?
> >

> gcal supports non-English month names better, I think.

We used an ancient version of the FreeBSD code, which was broken with
utf-8 in weekday names as it used byte-based truncation of the strings.
There is no separate package for the "cal" utility from FreeBSD as such,
let alone the old version we used. There is for gcal and this one was
easy to get built. I'm fine with having alternatives in the repository.

> > Also, why can't we include man pages in the default image as well? At
> > least for the built-in commands. We would also have to install the man
> > package, which seems like it wouldn't be too much.
> >

> Whatever manpages aren't included is a bug AFAIK (the coreutils ones, for
> example). Coreutils itself can be outsourced as soon as someone writes a
> bootstrap recipe for it and uploads packages for all primary architectures.
> I think.

Packages include manpages. The missing ones are for things not
outsourced yet and still built with custom jamfiles as part of Haiku
buildsystem. As the outsourcing of these continues, the manpages are
added.

--
Adrien.