[haiku-development] Re: Virtualbox

  • From: Kingdon Barrett <kingdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 12:23:28 -0400

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 23:36:18 -0700, Richie Nyhus <richienyhus@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Just let me know if this belongs on the Users list, but most of all, if
> you know how to make either one work please speak up.  It's not built into
> gcc2+4 nightlies.
>
> You need to install it using the HaikuDepot app.
>

> Also, I had to set my mouse type to one of the tablet types.

Thank you, these two suggestions got me much further than before.  (I can't
believe I haven't seen the HaikuDepot app or used HaikuPorter.)

There is no link to a project page, just a link back to virtualbox website.
 This is because there is no project page or documentation of any kind,
right?  (This work was mostly completed as a GSoC project, I remember
reading about it).

Mouse integration worked straight away when I set the mouse to a tablet
type.  The guest additions package installed without problems after that, I
am able to change screen resolutions through the preferences screen.
 Running VBoxTray for the first time seems to enable bidirectional
clipboard and keep the tray module running sticky across reboots.

The dynamic screen resolution setting when you resize the guest window is
the only feature that seems to be missing.  Woohoo!

Are there any other features I am missing?  GL-Teapot also seems to do
pretty well here, but it does just as well without 3D acceleration enabled,
I'm not sure it's using any hardware.  Too bad that 2D acceleration is only
supported for Windows.

> If you run into any problems using it, sign up to the HaikuPorts mailing
> list and give a yell:

I joined the HaikuPorts mailing list, cheers.

--
Kingdon Barrett <kingdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>