[haiku-development] Re: Video Mixer

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:51:27 +1100

On 2009-03-10, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 7:24 PM, David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Has any thought been given to developing a Video Mixer in the same
> > manner as the Audio Mixer?
>
> I think it sounds like a neat idea, and if it could simplify decoders
> then I say it is worth looking into.
>
> > Also, when we want to add subtitles we will need to be able to merge 2
> > video streams (video + subtitle)
>
> Though I am sure François is right about the overlay, I still think
> this sounds like an interesting application for a video mixer. I am
> sure there are other possibilities, like maybe a picture in picture
> for a TV application.

PIP, Subtitles, OSD.  To me they are all just mixed video.  Perhaps it
is easier to use overlay but overlay is not always available.

> Though if we have to invent reasons for it and it is a lot of work to
> do then maybe it isn't worth it. Are there other potential drawbacks
> besides implementation time?

Writing a basic mixer should not be too difficult especially if we
just limit it to conversions.  A lot of conversion code is already
done in various video decoders.

Putting it into the media kit might be an issue regarding R1
compatability.  I am not sure if we can add a getVideoMixer call like
we have a getAudioMixer without breaking things.

Then converting MediaPlayer to use it would be next.

Anyway, I might play with a few ideas and try and get the basics done
before looking to make it a node.

--
Cheers
David