[haiku-development] UEFI bootloader Request for comments

  • From: Joe <beaglejoe13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 10:26:42 -0500

Hello all,

I have been looking at some of the issues with UEFI booting of Haiku.

My thought is that the best approach to UEFI booting is to store a partition identifier in a file next to the haiku_loader.efi/bootx64.efi on the ESP partition. This file can be read via the UEFI BootServices.

Then the file system(s) can be mounted and the VFS searched for the required partition.

I have created a prototype implementation (using the partition name as the identifier).

I have pushed this to Gerrit for your review.

https://review.haiku-os.org/c/haiku/+/3881

This implementation requires one extra step (which will be handled by the Installer) when installing to hard drive as described here:

https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/uefi_booting/

After copying the BOOTX64.EFI, also copy partition.txt and edit it to have the name of the partition to which you just installed.

Cheers,

Joe