[haiku-development] Re: To do for alpha 1

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 09:39:38 -0700

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Axel Dörfler<axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As I understand it, we need nightly alpha "candidate" builds that
> everyone not building itself can try out, and check if anything needs
> more polishing/bug fixing.

Oh, ok :)

Yeah, then I guess that's what we already label "pre-alpha".

Unfortunately, the ones built by Sikosis are not yet Hybrid builds.

> When the alpha is finally released, we don't need those anymore, though
> (although if they are done automatically, it wouldn't even hurt - it's
> just that once we branch, the images should come from the branch, not
> trunk).

I would guess once we've identified the *exact* revision that is
alpha-worthy, we would have a good clean version built, regression
tested for a day or so to make sure everything is exactly how we want
it, and then distributed as the "golden alpha 1" ;)

After that we can certainly continue distributed nightlies, but I'm
not sure I'd call them alpha nor pre-beta - maybe just "nightly". This
leaves the door open to do an "alpha2" if we feel it's necessary.

In any case, these are just my impressions/opinions. Since there's
never really been a release, we're sort of in a peculiar predicament
of having no experience to pull from yet ;)

- Urias