[haiku-development] The Terminal: MuTerm rudiments for multi-byte character sets designation. To drop or not to drop?

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:12:36 +0200

Dear Colleagues,

during trying to resolve a Trac issue #6227, related to support of Chinese GB18030 encoding I have found some code that is looking like dead or semi-functional. I'm speaking about support of so known designation of 96/94 multi-byte characters sets, mentioned in in Ecma-35 as GZDM4, G1ZDM4, G2ZDM4, G2ZDM4 and G1ZDM6, G2ZDM6, G2ZDM6 commands. Looks like original MuTerm 2.3 from which we have started our Terminal development had some rudimentary support of such functionality for Japanese encoding. From the other side this functionality is not related to current support of charsets conversion in the Terminal and can be dropped without any affect on it. Another issue with this designation functionality that it uses only single-shift functions SS2 and SS3 to designate alternative encoding but not the whole charset designations. That looking suspicious for me and I have a big desire either to bring it part in order or drop this functionality. The question is: Is this multi-byte designation support actual at the moment and how can I test it after refactoring it? Note that xterm doesn't handle those multi-byte designations at all.

By the way this multi-byte charsets designation was dropped in the MuTerm 2.4 (issued by Chen Yi-feng) but left untouched in Haiku Terminal that grown from 2.3 one.

And again, dropping the multi-byte designation support doesn't affect on current menu-driven character encoding settings. It is unrelated to it at all.

--
Kind Regards,
   S.Zharski