[haiku-development] Re: System Soundfont

  • From: scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:31:33 -0700

> If it is yes, I think Haiku needs to put in place a strategy for package
> creation that involves the community.
> Something like what the Debian Project does.
> Multiple people could compile and package applications they have
> volunteered to take responsibility for.
> But only as much as they can manage.

We do this, it's called HaikuPorts (http://www.haikuports.org).  We have
20+ members who make package recipes.  If you can't figure out all the
minute details we have a mailing list there as well where you can ask
questions.  If you are still stumped and don't want to lose the work you
have put into it you can create a new issue there and attach you work to it
and maybe someone will pick it up and help you out, or finish the work.

We participated in Google Code-In the last four years and in each of those
years we've have several 13-17 yr old students come into the project
knowing little about HaikuPortes/Haikuporter.  They not only read through
the docs, but figure out how to put working recipes together.  So it can be
done.  If the docs are still lacking they can be improved, it's a wiki.

-scottmc