[haiku-development] Re: Suggestion: Rename "Keyboard" to "Typing" in Preferences

  • From: Izomiac <haikulist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 01:40:53 -0400

HID is kind of an unusual term (and could encompass a lot more than it
does).  I suppose "buttons and cursor control" would be accurate, although
it wouldn't account for real touchscreen support (as in not just emulating a
mouse), joystick axises, or fingerprint readers.
"Input Devices" is still probably the best choice, but it's vague.  Webcams,
microphones, and TV tuners are also input devices.  The keyboard leds, power
led, and force feedback devices are output devices.  I suppose the
classification difficulty lies in the fact that such distinctions are kinda
arbitrary.  A "hardware" preflet might work but it'd likely include half of
the existing preflets.  Although I must admit, the concept of such a preflet
was nifty enough for me to do a quick mockup (lacks technical accuracy, good
spatial planning, and half of my hardware).  <
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/637/hardwareprefletmockup.png>