[haiku-development] Re: Stack&Tile, the Deskbar, and window management in general.

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 00:46:12 -0500

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 7:09 PM, looncraz <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I managed to find a SUPER EARLY start on the code.  It can give you an idea
> what the code looks like.

So I just took a quick look. It has some interesting ideas, but our
design styles may be a bit different. I don't know if things need to
be quite so abstracted, but I could change my mind as things go along.

In general I want to go MVC (or close to that) with plugins where it
makes sense. What I plan to start with is the data models,
specifically a nice representation of open teams and windows. This can
either be a private library or just some classes in the shared kit,
because I want to reuse it between the extracted Twitcher and the new
Deskbar. I might actually start with extracting and redesigning
Twitcher, so this model class or classes would have a simpler first
test case before I dive into Deskbar.

Other models could be those around the current Deskbar menu, such as
the application list, and the preferences.

Then different views can be built around these models, without having
a bunch of duplication. For example I could see having the application
menu shown more traditionally as it is now, or as a larger grid of
icons like the Mac OS X Launchpad or Slingshot from elementary OS:

http://elementaryos.org/sites/default/files/user/5/medthumb_screenshot-slingshot.png

The current Deskbar has a pretty extreme coupling of the data models
and the views.

--
Regards,
Ryan