[haiku-development] Re: Sockets

  • From: Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 22:06:39 -0700

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:52:59 -0700, Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

quoth Sean Healy,

The Be Book says "Socket tokens are not file descriptors (this violates
the BSD tradition)."

Is this still the case in Haiku?

No!  Finally one I know - but really, maybe someone could point you
to an update on what Haiku is, relative to BeOS.

Not sure what you mean by this. Has something changed?

The last release of BeOS, 5.03, still had this bolt-on network as
described above, though when they went down, they had a BSD style
implementation working.  Haiku has had it from the beginning, with
I believe a network implementation taken from FreeBSD.  It's just
one of the ways Haiku is BeOS done right.

Actually, I was always thought this was one of the areas where BeOS got it conceptually right. They are different beasts, and in principle should be treated differently, despite BSD design decisions.

But doing it this way makes porting posix apps easier, so it's conceptually inelegant but quite convenient.