[haiku-development] Re: Selecting a non-trademarked name for the Haiku platform

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 08:52:41 +0200

Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 23:23, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > -1 for changing that. It took ages for the autotools changes to
> > make it to
> > most software packages. Changing things now will be a serious
> > nuisance for
> > porters with no real benefit. Fair use of the Haiku name is allowed
> > anyway.
> > At least I don't see any serious problem in not changing what system
> > uname() reports in third party distros. Maybe Haiku, Inc. can make
> > statement what their stance is on the matter.
> What about forks of the codebase -- would they be allowed to use
> 'haiku' in uname? Particularly ones that could not be considered
> 'compatible' with Haiku.  eg, a fork or distro that provides libm,
> /usr, or any of the other idiosyncrasies from linux/unix/bsd that
> Haiku doesn't follow.

Since Haiku is trademarked, we could revoke those rights at any time.
Apart from that, I would leave it like this for Haiku. In the end,
we're developing Haiku, the operating system, not some kind of base
system to be ripped apart by someone else; why should we cripple
ourselves because of that?

Bye,
   Axel.