[haiku-development] Re: Removing ported code from the repository, replacing with prebuilt packages (was: [haiku-commits] r35705)

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:57:32 -0800

> On a similarly related note, here's some bits about automating package
> creation
>  * Currently HaikuPorts employs a python script for generating
> programs[1],[2]. Could someone explain some of its features,
> limitations, & issues?
>
> [0] :
> //www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Vim-episodes-VI-The-Packages,3
> [1] : http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/HaikuPorter
> [2] : http://ports.haiku-files.org/browser/haikuporter/trunk
> [3] :
> http://lists.ports.haiku-files.org/pipermail/haikuports-devs-ports.haiku-files.org/2009-June/000516.html
> [4] : http://ports.haiku-files.org/browser/haikuports/branches/Jam
> [5] :
> http://lists.ports.haiku-files.org/pipermail/haikuports-devs-ports.haiku-files.org/2009-June/000523.html
> [6] : http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/branches/developer/mmu_man/distro
> [7] : http://dev.osdrawer.net/projects/haikubuildomatic

I can speak a little on haikuporter, the features are listed in the
link[1], as for limitations there are a few, such as you shouldn't use
haikuporter to build python, bad things will happen...  Haikuporter
supports building and zipping of the packages, but has issues with
ports that don't allow building to a destdir, such as is the case with
openssl.  These issues can probably be worked around by improving how
haikuporter functions.  As they say patches welcome.  We have an open
milestone on HaikuPorts trac for haikuporter v1.0, in case there's any
python hackers out there that are looking for something to work on:
http://ports.haiku-files.org/milestone/haikuporter%20version%201.0

For an easy way to install and try out haikuporter see this page:
http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/Installation
We are stepping through the various Haiku OptionalPackages and adding
.bep files for any that don't yet have them.  This will probably be
finished in a couple of weeks or so.
-scottmc