[haiku-development] Re: Removing YASM dependency

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 15:36:33 +0100

Am 03/02/2014 15:30, schrieb Jonathan Schleifer:
I noticed that we depend on yasm for a few files and that it seems
to be that those were compiled with nasm in the past (the rule is
still called AssembleNasm). Is this historical and it's just that
nobody bothered to convert them yet or would there be any objections
in converting them to GNU as? That would remove the dependency on
yasm and porting them to GNU as does not mean that we have to use
AT&T syntax, if that's the reason why nasm/yasm was used.

IIRC gas lacked a few features that were needed such as MMX/SSE/16-bit code generation. I might remember wrong though :-) It's not unlikely that there are no issues anymore. And yes, it's still called AssembleNasm out of pure laziness.

Bye,
   Axel.