[haiku-development] Removal of OpenGL kit code from our repos

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 00:52:59 -0600

I finally got the forked self-contained Mesa 7.9.2 opengl kit working. (vs the
half in haiku tree mesa 7.8.2 opengl kit we use now)

The performance improvement of the newer version is only slight. I had exact
numbers between the two.. But the random crashes in #10279 are a pain and have
slowed me down quite a bit.

To give everyone a better idea on how things will look, the packages will be
laid out as follows:

Gcc4
  mesa-10.0.0
    Provides libGL
  mesa_devel-10.0.0
    Provides opengl kit and opengl headers
  mesa_swrast-10.0.0
     Software Rasterizer opengl add-on
  mesa_swpipe-10.0.0
      Software pipe opengl add-on

Gcc2
  mesa-7.9.2
    Provides libGL
  mesa_devel-7.9.2
    Provides opengl kit and opengl headers
  mesa_swrast-7.9.2
    Legacy software rasterizer opengl add-on

swrast is the old mesa rasterization renderer.. swpipe is the newer llvmpipe
gallium renderer (which is still somewhat unstable FYI)

Mesa 10.0.0 is almost stock mesa (minus one small patch) as of mesa 10.0.0 our
c++ openGL kit is included (BGLView) in tree. 10.0.0 will see updates as mesa
progresses. Mesa 7.9.2 should truely be the last major gcc2 mesa version, (it
may see tweaks for performance as I've forked it for our use)

I'm still trying to get my recipe for mesa 7.9.2 in order.. But have yet been
able to do much on real hardware due to #10279

You can plug and play whichever renderer you want to use by installing and
removing each respective package. (Install both renderers and I think it is
luck of the draw by libGL) &#128513;. Install no renderers and the program
should run but you get lovely "no renderer" text in your application.

There is still some recipe work left and build system work left.. but things
are getting close.

-- Alex