[haiku-development] RFC: Thermal sensors in /dev/

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 13:29:59 -0600

So, the radeon_hd driver has the ability to query thermal GPU status for the card.

I am thinking of introducing a /dev/thermal/<driver_name>/<device_instance>/0 path for thermal info.

I personally think the layout above matches other things in /dev, and is generic enough that
other drivers can use it.

Example for radeon_hd driver:

/dev/thermal/radeon_hd/0/0 would contain:

"
Radeon HD 5830 - GPU 0
44000
"

First line is a quick driver description of what thermal sensor this is
Second line is temperature in millidegree Celsius (to avoid floats)

Thoughts?
  -- Alex