[haiku-development] RFC: SPDX License list

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 09:36:57 +0200

Hi,

Today I discovered the SPDX license list: http://spdx.org/licenses/

This is a list of "well known" free software licenses. They attributed
an unique identifier to each license so it's clear which is which. This
avoids the confusion of the various variations on the BSD and MIT/X11
licenses. for example.

I'm wondering if we should switch to this for our data/licenses folder.
Our current naming scheme there is quite arbitrary, and using a common
one like this sounds like a good idea. All the licenses in the SPDX list
could be added to a package, and other packages could rely on it to
provide license texts.

However, renaming the licenses means all packages and recipes in
haikuports need to be adjusted to the new names. Alternatively, we could
add the SPDX tag as an attribute on the license files, instead of
renaming them.

Comments?

--
Adrien.