[haiku-development] Q: UserBuildConfig affecting ReleaseBuildProfiles

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 03:25:03 +0000

while documenting http://www.haiku-os.org/node/2516 <--shameless plug,
 i noticed a few oddities between UserBuildConfig and ReleaseBuildProfiles

First, a user is able to create a UserBuildConfig with :
switch $(HAIKU_BUILD_PROFILE) {
        case "alpha-*" : {
                Echo Hello From UserBuildConfig ...
                Echo These lines will appear before ReleaseBuildProfile's Echo
statement.
                HAIKU_ROOT_USER_NAME = walter ;
                AddOptionalHaikuImagePackages <args> ;  or
                AddFilesToHaikuImage <args> ;
        }
}

In a quick test, it seems that even though a user can do this, many of
the commands and variables will not take effect. In other words, a
user may be confused why this isn't working as intended, but at least
the official build profiles will not be modified.

However, if a user places the following commands directly in their
UserBuildConfig,
eg, not inside a switch-case statement, then the ReleaseBuildProfiles
will be affected.
AddOptionalHaikuImagePackages <args> ;  or
AddFilesToHaikuImage <args> ;

Are either of these desirable?

To me, it seems that we would want to preserve the integrity and
uniformity of the ReleaseBuildProfiles by somehow de-activating all
UserBuildConfig files.

--mmadia.