[haiku-development] Re: Partitioning support in Alpha/1

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:49:05 +0100

Matt wrote:
> >> IMHO, as a solution, we should recommend using a nother partitioner
> >> (GParted has a live CD for example) for creating a partition that one
> >> can later initialize with DriveSetup during installation.
> >
> > +1 for me.
> > There are a lot of liveCD available around which contain GParted, if
> > one wants to repartition his hard drive. These kind of people are
> > usually tech-savvy enough to be able to do that.
> >

> I know the licence is GPL but could we not port libparted to Haiku and
> plug that into drive setup?

When I mentioned "a lot of work" to implement that, I wasn't even thinking
of writing it from scratch necessarily. If possible, we should reuse
something existing, which may still be a lot of work. Ubuntu can definitely
resize an NTFS partition, I hope that's open source. We should use
something that has enough exposure, because it's really critical that it
works reliably.

Best regards,
-Stephan