[haiku-development] Re: Ogg detection in MediaPlayer

  • From: Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 12:23:13 -0500

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Fredrik Modèen <fredrik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't think MediaPlayer should open a file that it can't handle. What if
> it is a really big file and when it has finally finished reading your file
> you get an error.  I don't have a better idée though.

It's not that simple. We can't know if we can/can't handle a file
without first reading its container headers to find out the codecs
used within it. Only then can we check if we have the necessary codecs
or not. The problem being talked about here is rejecting them based
off the BEOS:TYPE attribute without even looking at the file data at
all, which is almost certainly not correct.

Regards,

Rene