[haiku-development] Re: Negative insets and BScroll{Bar|View}

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:01:09 +0200

Am 26/08/2015 um 10:47 schrieb Stephan Aßmus:

I've found it visually appealing to merge borders where the opportunity
presented itself. At the same time, I found the methods by which this is
accomplished messy and error-prone. In a perfect world, the knowledge of
appearance and whether something should be merged, or more precisely,
whether a visual element in one part of the interface already performs
the same function as a visual element in an adjacent part of the
interface, would be completely up to the theme.

That would be nice, but might also not always end up with the effect wanted by the interface designer; one should be able to turn that mechanism off.

This is completely different to how its done
now, and in fact different to all APIs I know.

Swing components at least have a border with a known size; it could already do something like that.
However, the window border is currently independent of the theme, so that asks for trouble (in the way we currently do things, at least).

So a kludge that just
improves the status quo a little (option 1) and solves your problem is
fine by me. Your Option 2 I don't like so much, since it doesn't really
solve the problem (knowlegde is wrongly placed), as I tried to outline
above.

I went with option 1 in my local changes, I just wanted to hear some opinions/ideas before I break compatibility.

Your idea would definitely something I would consider once we start designing the new interface kit.

Bye,
Axel.